The daily adventures and travails of one neurotic, klutzy, hungry, cynical college girl. Tune in for prizes! (offer void where prohibited. See office for details. Not responsible for lost articles.)
|
|
| |
|
|
| |
|
|
|
|
|
|
| |
Monday, June 19, 2006
Top Ten Reasons It's Okay That I'm Broke
1. Remember in school, when you lived on twenty cents a day and had to make your own fun? Checking out books you'd never buy from the library, hitting the beach for tans and lifeguards, window shopping at malls (better if you're in character), making home meals and sharing them with equally broke and hungry friends... I forgot how bourgie that feels and it's quaint and nice after being so L.A.
2. Speaking of home meals, being broke means not eating 12 lbs of steak and cheese, so as a result, I'm getting summer body ready.
3. Better broke than thousands in debt. (Okay, fine. I'm thousands in debt quite literally.)
4. I'm starting to feel the urge to flirt more, so those boys pay for me. I'm too independent when I have money and I snarl at them uninvitingly.
5. Necessity is the mother of invention. No new clothes? I'm going to alter old ones. No new groceries? It's time to create new recipes. Once I made a pasta dish out of chinese hot mustard and canned string beans. Maybe I'd been hungry for a week, but it tasted damn good.
6. I'm learning to turn down every offer to go out from friends. I have no backbone when it comes to saying no. That's how I got broke in the first place, but now there's a geniune need to learn the art of politely declining. (Not that I regret a single penny spent of last year, nor do I want the offers to wane. I'm just going to be more selective now!)
7. Erg, top ten is harder than I thought. Um, it's nice when friends offer to pay for lunches and dinners. It shows you that they're in it for the company, yeah?
Also, when Momma Kim hands me "mad money", it reminds me of a simpler time when I used to get five or ten dollars out of nowhere and my parents would urge me to be reckless in moderation. They're silly.
8. Before the storm is the calm. (hee, I wrote clam and got a case of the giggles) This time of financially in ruin will soon give way to a cornucopia of wealth, it's in the checks and balances of the universe.
9. It's absolutely worth it when I visit my baby, and he's wobbling around on his cast and I realize my giving up dinners and dresses means that he gets to walk again.
10. Cause I'm already money, baby. I'm the woman behind the man behind the man.
10:41 AM
|
|
| |
|
|
|
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home