The daily adventures and travails of one neurotic, klutzy, hungry, cynical college girl. Tune in for prizes! (offer void where prohibited. See office for details. Not responsible for lost articles.)


























 
Archives
<< current













 
An Alternate Me

Da Homie

My Fave Cuz

Boo is Coo

Will be on TRL soon

Boo Deja Vu

New Boo Too

Ol' man

His number is on the bathroom wall

Voted Most Talkative

Kruddy Buddy

SLO Korean Girl

Brutally Honest

Mulan Rouge!

Angry Kutie

Ghetto White

RuPaul's words of wisdom

Barry Funny"

Dare to be Moore

Best Week Ever!

LA Comfidential

Yum Yum

The yellows

FOUND!

Electric slut

grace@margaretcho.com





























Food For Thought!
 
Tuesday, April 11, 2006  
The thing that rocks about having girl friends is that there is a whole emotional frontier that guy friends rarely get into...

The thing that sucks about having girl friends is that there is a whole emotional frontier that guy friends rarely get into.

Girl drama is tough. You know when guys get into fights, it's physical and there is a clear winner and it can be over with that one altercation and usually they can just get over the frustration and resentment with a punch? It's not that bad of an arrangement. Getting punched isn't fun, but at least it's a pain that you can ignore shortly after and you and your friend can be closer without a history of regret and doubt.

With girls, the fights are repressed, manipulative, emotionally damaging, and vicious. Even your best friend can turn on you for a small slight, and sometimes no matter what, the scar will never go away. Ugly and permanent. I remember getting into a fight a year ago with one of my closest friends, over what is now practically nothing. At the time, it felt really important to me, and I almost lost her as a result. I was hurt, she was hurt, and we weren't even trying to fight it out.

It's hard being a girl. Even the most rational, logical, "men" like girls find themselves in this pool once in awhile. Because girl friendships are like ceramic vases. They hold quite a lot, are strong inside, go deeply, and look very, very nice to the outsider. But they are also fragile, brittle, and painful when broken.

Someone asked me today how I would feel if they momentarily betrayed my trust and let a man come between us, and my initial response (though it was a hypothetical situation) was immense hurt, anger, and fear. Even with all the care I had for my friend, I was instantly at bat over my feelings. (Eventually, I like to think I'd handle the situation with maturity, compassion, and class. But I've been wrong before, especially in the case of relationships, love, and the illusion of trust.)

It's days like this when I come to realize how very female my mind can be, when I think about all that makes me stereotypical.

5:38 PM

0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
This page is powered by Blogger.