The daily adventures and travails of one neurotic, klutzy, hungry, cynical college girl. Tune in for prizes! (offer void where prohibited. See office for details. Not responsible for lost articles.)


























 
Archives
<< current













 
An Alternate Me

Da Homie

My Fave Cuz

Boo is Coo

Will be on TRL soon

Boo Deja Vu

New Boo Too

Ol' man

His number is on the bathroom wall

Voted Most Talkative

Kruddy Buddy

SLO Korean Girl

Brutally Honest

Mulan Rouge!

Angry Kutie

Ghetto White

RuPaul's words of wisdom

Barry Funny"

Dare to be Moore

Best Week Ever!

LA Comfidential

Yum Yum

The yellows

FOUND!

Electric slut

grace@margaretcho.com





























Food For Thought!
 
Thursday, March 16, 2006  


Michael Showalter is adorable. What can I say? I love the grown child-men who can't help but utterly, helplessy dorky and stuffy and woefully underappreciated. I know Francis is partial to Michael Ian Black- the faux anti-establishment, borderline homosexual, slightly assholey, snarkster who is too anti-cool to let loose his emotions other than when imitating lesser peons in his radar. But for me, my heart goes to Showalter whose underbite, darting eyes, and lispy indignance make me melt. He's the neighbor who asks for precisely one and 2/3 cups of raw brown sugar. He's the science teacher in the 7th grade who truly thought his class would enjoy watching "Race for the Double Helix" starring Jeff Goldblum pre-Jehovah complex. He truly is the man you leave at the alter for some jerk with a big fat fake speech, his SoHo ensemble plucked together just so, and two months before you realize that you love neither, but the drama was fun to live.

I loved Michael more in "Wet Hot American Summer" because (if it is possible) his heart was bleeding even more profusely than it does here. Here he has an obvious chance of winning the fem-Baxter's heart and somehow he's not as desperate and head over heels, which is his charm to begin with. But that movie was a heap of inside smuggery and messy editing/pacing. It was hilarious, no doubt about it. But "The Baxter" achieves a more fluid and solid impact. Kudos to writing, directing, and starring in a film and managing not to overindulge or lose focus on the goal.

I'm impressed, Michelle Williams. I was still being snide and snobby about your "acting skills" thus far, but it looks as thought I will finally remove those quotation marks. While mostly, I find you to be dragging through your scenes or half heartedly chewing the scenery,(I didn't know it could be done, until I saw you in Dawson's Creek- how can you look both overly sexed up in a pathetic way and bored to tears because you're beyond your years? Well, I don't mean in a Brigette Bardot way. You achieved a more robotic status, one with a short battery life, coming to life in short spurts of flirtation.) you have finally hit your zone. You were fresh and lively for once. Both mature and impish, I thought "Who is this new face? She's darling." Three scenes were your highlights of the film- when you entered as the temp for the first time, drenched with rain, and anxious, in the LOVABLE red coat, I was ready to forgive your dull vision of characterizations in all the other films I saw. Your best acting scene was when you returned as the temp near the end, after the burger date. That coat! (Maybe I'm basing your acting on your costumes, but seriously they were gorgeous) You were both eager and closed off, exuberant and frightened, shining and devastated. Love. Then at the end, I knew I had crossed into Michelle Williams fan territory. How beautiful you looked crossing the street, smiling and carrying your luggage.

Okay I didn't mean to make this a Michelle post. I was just happy to see an actress finally reach their potential. Anyway, I loved the film, but some of the cast truly phoned it in. Michael Ian Black, it's a bad sign when I see you in green women's panties, strutting around, and I sigh "It's all been done before." David Wain, don't make me start to hate you. Elizabeth Banks, how long are you going to ride the open mouthed, blond ditz ride? You're better than that. I think. On the other hand, I loved the Bar Baxters more than you'll understand. I wanted to study them like a high school science project. And casting your real life neighbor as your movie neighbor with the YWCA wine studies? Bril. Use that woman again. She's a scene stealer.

Basically, it's a cute movie. Nothing to start a cult fan club about, but reinforces my love of Showalter and his heart-achingly unique high pitched squeal when he gets upset in character. I would go to battle if I were promised Showalter to come home to when finished. Battleship, at least.

Above is the shot of Michaels "speedwalking" through New York City. Gush.

9:58 AM

0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
This page is powered by Blogger.