The daily adventures and travails of one neurotic, klutzy, hungry, cynical college girl. Tune in for prizes! (offer void where prohibited. See office for details. Not responsible for lost articles.)
|
|
| |
|
|
| |
|
|
|
|
|
|
| |
Thursday, February 23, 2006
I got a lot of shit i should have been posting. Picture, stories, movie recaps, topical new bites. But the truth is, I'm tired. I'm just being non-responsive until I get my groove back. I need rejuvenation. But until then, you can read a near totally perfect recap of Serenity, one of my favorite movies I forgot to recap after watching it. To be honest, I didn't think I could do justice to the film, because when something is emotionally invested, it doesn't sound quite right when you describe it on paper. Or online, as it were. Read this guy's view and understand how complex, poignant, and ultimately inspiring the vision of "Firefly" really was. Yes, Joss fans would follow him to the ends of the world (or just before WonderWoman releases, maybe), but trust me, I am not a Joss-aholic, or whatever cutesy title they give themselves. I always appreciate an ambitious writer with creative goals. I considered joining a writer's cafe for $25 a month just to mingle in the presence of J.J.Abrams, to perhaps glean off some of his precious success stink.
I digress. I mean to say, if you're ready to accept the story, it means a whole lot more than just a "cowboy sci-fi fantasy" with a fun pop culture streak to keep it real. That's what makes the kids tune in. Or not, as it was prematurely cancelled. (What heights could Firefly have reached had it been left to its growingly impressive talents?) There is always a plan. Even thought I didn't know about Firefly until years after cancellation on Fox, and I had poo-pooed the idea as cheap, opportunistic swill (I have a big mouth and a small mind, though I try to wrench it wider as i grow older. the mind, not hte mouth.) when I finally got around to seeing it, it got to me. I had my reservations and still hold to some doubts. But basically, Firefly has fun, makes key points, doesn't pat its own back, and shares things with you only when you are ready to learn them. It's like that really cool teacher you had who finally made you realize what schooling was all about. Getting ideas in your head so that you could explore frontiers of your own. And then, the movie.
Oh, i was upset. I was shaky, hurt, hungry for more, lost, and sometimes shunned it for giving me feelings of inadequacy, betrayal, or loss. After reading this recap, i again remembered how much it meant and what feelings I was ignoring. Yes, I cried. Maybe even more than during the first time watching the movie. Because all the things in the back of my brain, that didn't quite materialize because I was busy noting the discrepencies, or enjoying the dialogue, or trying to put out the flames of the fire in my brain, this man lays out for me to finally face.
Hmm, I said I would try to get those two screenshots that were pivotal to my experience of the film, but Apple won't let me do it. I'm as miffed as you. Does anyone know what to do?
Here's the link.
12:28 PM
|
|
| |
|
|
|
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home