The daily adventures and travails of one neurotic, klutzy, hungry, cynical college girl. Tune in for prizes! (offer void where prohibited. See office for details. Not responsible for lost articles.)


























 
Archives
<< current













 
An Alternate Me

Da Homie

My Fave Cuz

Boo is Coo

Will be on TRL soon

Boo Deja Vu

New Boo Too

Ol' man

His number is on the bathroom wall

Voted Most Talkative

Kruddy Buddy

SLO Korean Girl

Brutally Honest

Mulan Rouge!

Angry Kutie

Ghetto White

RuPaul's words of wisdom

Barry Funny"

Dare to be Moore

Best Week Ever!

LA Comfidential

Yum Yum

The yellows

FOUND!

Electric slut

grace@margaretcho.com





























Food For Thought!
 
Thursday, January 26, 2006  


I really want that dress. Props to the costume designer who I would aspire to, should I want to enter that profession. Not really, since I like having time to sleep and not measuring twenty different actors for sizes, and waking up 4 in the morning to go hunt cheap fabrics downtown. Ahem.

I was told that "Uptown Girls" is actually a really cute, touching story about two girls who learn to act their own age from each other. It's true. It's very adorable, and I get the hype about Dakota Fanning now. She's lovely. A true actor with character, depth, and dedication to her role. I like in the extra features, where you see the choreographer trying to guide her dance, and Dakota listens, dismissively waves off the women 4 times her age, and gets into the scene efficiently and professionally. She ain't no kid. And she's my brother's age, a boy who, until recently, didn't tie his shoes. When she sizes Molly down, you see a cold burning fire in Ray's eyes that gave me chills. She's got talent in spades and I'm marvelously jealous and inspired.

Again, this costume designer rocks my socks. A year ago, I went to a fashion exhibit, showcasing around 50 costumes from major motion pictures, down in Beverly Hills. Among other creations, they had the denim jumper that Brittany Murphy wears in all the promo pics. I can attest that Brittany is a tiny, tiny bebe-woman, who survives on "water and sunshine" like her character says in the movie. I think my arm would have fit in the jumper, nicely. Anyway, the costumes were terrific. I wanted to wear almost everything Brittany does. Also, every character had their perfect clothes, very clear and specific choices that made the people whole and real. Terrif.

Brittany is showing her age. Having Donald Faison in the film only reminded of Clueless days, when Tai was way harsh and well fed. Brittany now resembles a cute drowning rat with bulging eyes. Now, I loved Tai, and I see that losing weight rocketed her career. But when did losing weight have to mean sucking the marrow out of a person and replacing it with cocaine and imported cigarettes? Really, Marley Shelton could do the same roles, and still not scare the young'uns. So, they really shouldn't have filmed your scenes in such an obvious side-by-side comparison.

Hey, when you're an unfeeling, beautiful, overworking mother of a brilliant prodigy who goes missing, and you've just fired your kooky nanny for what you suspect was "inappropriate" relations with your daughter, shouldn't the FIRST person the police interrogate be that same nanny? Maybe you called your recording company underling, knowing that he would most likely be with said kook, but why wouldn't you try to find out what the nanny knows first, instead of spilling your guts (in the most annoying exposition ever, and is it still called exposition when the character does it in the last fourth of the film?) and letting her roam around to find your child, while you sit in your home office and watch the NYPD shuffle around, picking up props and setting them down.

Hey, cute boy, with nearly no personality written for him, I realize you mattered little to the story and it was funny to see you reaching for more- ie., I'm back from rehab, maybe i'm a ruthless social climber, i'm redeeming myself at the end with what is nearly no knowledge of you whatsoever... it's not your fault. And yes, your music video makes us all cringe. Partly cause the production team seemed to secretly hope it was hip and cool. Your song sucked, too. But my main problem with you is this- saving her dad's legacy for the surprise ending. It wasn't so clear, whether you did it for her or not, seeing as how you wet yourself near those damn guitars, and you let a group of 8 year olds bounce around a hardwood stage with those priceless pieces of Molly's past, and then you sing the ONE song that will remind Molly of how painful her parents' death was to her. Who gave you that right, buddy? You're lucky Molly was too entranced by her true love, Ray, growing up before her cracked out eyes, to give attention to your weak ass attempt to win your muse back. Go back to Canada and take your lousy British accent with you, guy.

I want a pet pig. I would build mini stairs for my little oinker, too.



10:00 AM

0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
This page is powered by Blogger.