The daily adventures and travails of one neurotic, klutzy, hungry, cynical college girl. Tune in for prizes! (offer void where prohibited. See office for details. Not responsible for lost articles.)
|
|
| |
|
|
| |
|
|
|
|
|
|
| |
Thursday, December 22, 2005
I've gotten lazy and uninspired about my posts lately... so since I've been Netflixing and going to the theatre in lieu of writing or doing anything else creative, I'm going to write about movies I've seen and hopefully jump back on my Grace train. Mind you, I'll try to keep these short and un-spoiler-ey so you don't groan at my indulgence. Also, don't judge my choices, cause I'm just a superficial freak.
Today- A Walk to Remember

I'll also try to post pictures you haven't seen a million times already. This was a cute moment in the film where Mandy Moore and Shane West are in a school play. The most emotion I got out of it was "Hmm, I should try rolling my hair in curlers again."
Nicholas Sparks has an unusual talent at churning out charm-less mush and Hollywood eats it up like holiday fruitcake. No one particularly enjoys it, but it's not entirely unpleasant and since no one can find enough reason to throw it out, they keep making the films. The Notebook and A Message in a Bottle also comes to mind, where actually talented actors barely pass muster through the storytelling that is both maudlin and trite. I hoped since "A Walk to Remember" was based on his actual sister's life, it would be a bit more authentic and relateable.
Dana Sparks Lewis ought to turn over and sigh in her grave.
The entire movie passes like a long trailer. The actual trailer feels more like a movie than the film does. Who did the editing? Did you film chunks of sense that you didn't want in the movie in case someone sued you for being realistic? How do you justify a boy saying "I love you" on a first, awkward date with virtually no conversation prior to the statement? For God's sake, you cut from arriving at the restaurant to Mandy Moore's last bite of her dinner, and the two actors sit there, like actors waiting for their cue to start the scene. Hum drum.
I noticed in the credits that Mandy Moore had an acting coach for her first foray into acting. Acting coach must have spoken these words multiple times a day- "Blink your eyes and keep them really wide. That's called earnest." Or maybe this one, not quite as often- "The camera only allows one emotion per scene. Don't try to delve into layers, you'll cheapen the character's sadness." And the acting coach must have taken the time to speak to Shane West- "I like your constant sneer. No matter what happens, you're a real rebel. The audience won't buy your past if you don't hang on to furrowing your brows or slouching in your bad-ass corduroys."
Look, I'm a die hard emotional wreck in many movies I'm ashamed to admit I've watched. I won't even like a film, but I'll cry because it might remind me of something that happened in my life or because I know how I might have filmed that story and it will get to me. But after finishing this movie, I only got a chest pain and my very own "Shane West" brow furrow. I thought maybe the chest pain was an almost cry, but it turned out to be physical repellant against "A Walk to Remember" and I felt like I did several years ago, when my dad kept poking me in the ribs as he tried to explain some vague concept to me. I felt bothered and irritable in a non-excitable way. I don't even "remember" whatever "walk" it was that the title refers to...
There's more to say (my thoughts on supporting characters, the homoeroticism between father and son [I ALWAYS catch and announce any homoeroticism], Darryl Hannah's WIG MONSTROCITY) but I'll stop here cause it's not worth your time or mine.
12:00 PM
|
|
| |
|
|
|
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home