The daily adventures and travails of one neurotic, klutzy, hungry, cynical college girl. Tune in for prizes! (offer void where prohibited. See office for details. Not responsible for lost articles.)
|
|
| |
|
|
| |
|
|
|
|
|
|
| |
Thursday, December 05, 2002
Wow, was I on crack last night. It actually hurt my ribs and throat that I was laughing so hard and long. Don't be that funny ever again, guys. Tone it down... So I want to know why my new doctor is never in his office. He just decided to close down for the month of December or something? I've called in the morning, the afternoon, at night, etc. Maybe I should call during my lunch hour. Would that help?? The only time I expect the office to be closed, they'd be open! Well, it's not important anyway. Just more checkups. That's what sucks about my family. They've been in so many hospitals, they've become paranoid. Do you know that my dad once tried to refuse a blood tranfusion? Here's the gist of the conversation:
Doctor: Mr. Kim (because NO ONE ever calls him by his first name and lives to tell about it), you need a blood tranfusion. Your body is experiencing rejection and your blood count is dangerously low.
Dad: No.
Doctor: Excuse me, sir?
Dad: I'll get AIDS.
Doctor: Sir, if you don't get a transfusion, you will die. Plus, the chances of getting a transmitted disease is once in 10 thousand or so, very slim.
Dad: I want my wife's blood. She can donate it.
Mom is surprised to hear this, but of course doesn't protest. She's accustomed to my dad's approach of never asking her if she wants to do anything, just assuming she will.
Dad: Go down and donate some right now.
Doctor: Sir, we can't do that. You need the blood now! It would take 3 days, at least, after donation to clean and process the blood. And we can't guarantee you would receive her blood.
Dad: Then, I don't want a transfer. (What he insists on calling most procedures in medical centers, from transfusions to transplants.)
After two hours of pleading, screaming, considering doing it without his consent (legal issues arose), and reverse psychology, he reluctantly signed the release.
Doctor, Mom, and I gathered in the hallway to discuss strangling my dad. Sigh.
The point of this story was to show how funny things are in retrospect. I've begun to embrace how dysfunctional my family is. I learned the word dysfunctional at age 8. Besides, I feel more accepted in our generation, when no one our age escaped a fucked up home. (This isn't my heart on my sleeve!! Uhhh, yea)
Oh and my playwriting class ended today. It was sad, at least on my part. I will miss those kids. They were funny. And there were cookies! *drools* I'm such a sucker for free food. It's sad, really.
2:42 PM
|
|
| |
|
|
|
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home